The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has expanded its recall of valsartan medications made by Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceuticals in China. […]
Medical Device Lawsuits
Are the medical devices that millions of people depend on every day to live better and healthier lives safe? From birth control to blood clot filters, to artificial hip and shoulder implants, we depend on medical devices to keep his safe, strong, and healthy. Unfortunately, not all of them do.
Current Lawsuits/Investigations into Medical Device Injuries and Complaints
- Depuy Attune Knee Replacement Lawsuit – patients who received the Attune Knee System are filing lawsuits against DePuy alleging the company developed a defective device that is prone to premature failures which force patients to undergo additional unplanned surgeries.
- Breast Implant ALCL Lymphoma Lawsuit – at any time after receiving a breast implant, patients may develop a type of cancer of the breast that is not breast cancer. Textured and smooth implants have been implicated in the development of anaplastic large cell lymphoma.
- Defective Catheter Lawsuit – millions of catheters have been recalled for a wide range of defects such as glass contamination, device breakage and splitting, and the injuries resulting from them, including catastrophic damage, profound loss of blood, and more.
- DePuy Synthes Elbow Replacement Lawsuit – Over 50,000 elbow prostheses were recalled from the market after problems with the stem of the Synthes Radial Head were discovered. The device may loosen after implantation and cause fractures, pain, tissue and bone damage, and force patients to undergo additional surgeries to repair the device or replace it with another.
- Essure Lawsuit – thousands of complaints have been filed by women suffering severe complications as the FDA continues to monitor Essure clinical studies regarding the safety and efficacy of the device. Chronic pain, organ perforation, and device migration are among the complaints, and dozens of deaths have been reported.
- Hernia Mesh Lawsuit – Patients who suffered infections, adhesions, premature mesh failures, and additional unplanned surgeries are filing lawsuits against hernia mesh makers like Bard, Davol, Ethicon, and Atrium Medical alleging these companies made and distributed defective devices.
- IVC Filter Lawsuit – deaths and injuries have been reported in connection with IVC filters used to catch blood clots before they travel to the heart or lungs. Unfortunately, these devices can break, migrate, and shift and cause potentially life-threatening injuries.
- Mirena Lawsuit – women implanted with the Mirena IUD may experience severe side effects including a buildup of cerebrospinal fluid that can cause pressure on the brain and may result in permanent blindness. Nearly 90 thousand complaints have been reported to the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System.
- NuVasive MAGEC System Lawsuit – children who are implanted with the NuVasive MAGEC magnetically controlled grow rods may suffer tissue damage, a particularly concerning condition called metallosis, and be forced to endure unexpected invasive surgeries to repair or replace the devices because of premature breakage.
- Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler Lawsuit – patients may have been exposed to dangerous bacterial infection during cardiothoracic surgery due to the aerosol of NTM bacteria into the operating theater from heater-cooler machines used to warm the patient during surgery.
- Shoulder Replacement Lawsuit – shoulder replacement prosthetics may not perform as expected and may lead to serious complications and force patients to undergo additional surgeries to repair or replace the device.
- Vaginal Rejuvenation Lawsuit – women across the country are filing lawsuits claiming they suffered burns, scarring, bleeding and pain after undergoing vaginoplasty procedures with devices that have never been approved for this use.
- Zimmer Biomet Shoulder Implant Lawsuit – a Class 1 recall was issued for the Biomet Comprehensive Reverse Shoulder System Humeral Tray because of breakage issues that can cause the patient to suffer serious injury, including loss of tissue and bone, and dangerous infection.